15/08/2015

Inspiration: Own space


Almost a year ago I asked in my blog's Facebook what you'd like me to post about. Of course I shall continue sharing the crafts and DT work I do, but I wondered if there's something more that you'd like to know. Like something about the mediums I use, my favorite supplies, about my process or similar. What was suggested was a post about inspiration. So I decided to start a series of post concentrating on something that inspires me.

Here's links to previous posts on the series:



This time I'm concentrating on the space you create in as it can also play a major part in the process. The space can either inspire you or then work in your disadvantage. And the space can provide straight inspiration like when you use your space as your topic for the page or other craft or then it can be a place of inspiration, inviting you to play, experiment and craft.

My space is called also our living room. So no, I don't have a specific room as my space but yes, I have a space. I started with one fold top desk (like you can see from this post dating back to 2013) and now the space as grown to occupy the whole area behind the couch in the form of the Expedit shelf from Ikea. Then I usually have my computer on our living room table on which I also record my videos and do the live shows. 

So even in the "normal" look my hobby is in plain sight and to me that's ok. Scrapbooking and crafting mean a lot to me so I think it's only appropriate that it's shown in our apartment. Like our bedroom is filled with music making stuff as my husband is a musician in his spare time. If you like to read a bit more about the space itself and how my supplies are organized, please visit this older post (link) as most of the things I wrote there still apply. 

But back to the inspiration part. I think the first thing is to ponder if the space works for you. No matter if it's a huge room or just one desk, it needs to work for you. If this isn't the case, then something needs to be changed. The space needs to get your creative juices flowing and not hinder them. It needs to invite you to create and make things easy so you don't have to concentrate to other than the creating part. 

I guess the only way to realize a space that's just right in every way is do some trial and error. Change the places of different supplies and see how they effect your flow while creating. Like for me "see it - use it" rule applies. If I put some of the stuff to drawers I stop using them, so the more they are visible, the better. Of course there's also practical stuff like this tip Nathalie just shared about storing acrylic paints (link). One thing you might consider when experimenting with the arrangement is what supplies you always tend to use and have them easily accessible. 

The other way to draw inspiration from the space is more straight forward. Whereas the first was something connected with each project you do, this is limited to some projects. As you can document your space or do something for it or just share it with others for inspiration! Underneath is a few ideas how to be inspired by your own space!


Here's just a few ideas to get you going:

- think back and see how your space has evolved throughout the years - document the change

- ask yourself "is my space working for me" and then go from there, think about what inspires you in your space and what doesn't, can those be changed and so worth

- document your space

- skim through blogs and compare different storage solutions and spaces with your own, maybe you find something you could try

- make a Pinterest board about craft spaces and pin ideas - start making your own dream space

- or if you don't have a Pinterest and are more of hands on anyway, start gathering photos and other stuff that make up your dream space

- think about the way you create, what items should be close at hand and what can be hidden - make necessary changes and see if the space inspires you more

- visit crafty friends and compare the spaces and processes

- make something for your craft space - a storage unit, a mood board or frame your own art work, anything that can inspire you!

- challenge yourself and craft in a totally other room than usually - what's different, what do you miss the most from your own space? Write the thoughts down as they are the key elements to your space!

- document your dream craft space


I hope you found this post interesting or perhaps even inspiring! I'll post another source and a few ideas how to use it next month. Please also remember the "Inspired by" posts as I usually try to open up my process in them!

And if you have any ideas about posts, any questions or a certain source of inspiration in mind, please don't hesitate to leave a comment or send me a mail!

Thank you for stopping by today! Have a great weekend! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...