10/11/2013

Inspired by... Black and White


It's again the 10th of the month and time for the "Inspired by" creation! But what is Inspired by? Every month awesome Marsha and I choose a subject to be inspired by. It can be a movie (link), an item (link), a designer (link), a painting (link) or a music style (link). Then we make something inspired by that theme or a piece of art and share it with you and each other on the 10th of the month.


This time we took another route. No piece of art, no music even no kit. Just two (non)colors: black and white. First I thought I'd be struggling with this piece, but actually it came together with no pain. I guess the version with no black nor white would be the breaker for me. 

I thought about the subject for quite some time but then it hit me. As I was thinking "black and white, black and white" in Finnish I suddenly realized that Edith Södergran has a poem titled "Black or white". She's by far one of my favorite poets ever since I encountered her work. This happened in upper secondary school when we were introduced to analysis of different written works of art. The first poem I read from her was called "Stars" and it really got me puzzled before I clicked to Wikipedia and found out about her life


When I started to work on the page, I first grabbed my white Sakura pen and started writing which is really uncommon for me. Usually the journaling is the last thing I add on a page. Well of course I have an idea about what I'm coming to write, but the actual writing part is the last touch. But this time I scribbled first. I wrote the poem five or six times to the background in white and then added some random pieces of it to make a good looking "word cloud". On top I stamped with white and added some white splashes too. Then I adhered some pieces of washi tape on top and doodled with a pencil. After that became to paper layers so that the poem can be seen only from the top any more.

I added some embellishments and the title and then made a small journaling spot on the left upper corner with correction tape. I only wrote a few words there, but journaled a longer story on the back of the layout about my feelings and ideas about the poet and how she has affected me. I though those kinds of things might the cool for my kids to read when they are older.

But now, enough about my work! I wonder what Marsha did this time? Is it a layout? Or something completely different? Click here and let's find out!


Black or White

Rivers run under the bridges,
flowers glow by the roads,
forests bow sighing to the ground.
For me nothing is high or low any more,
black nor white,
since I have seen a woman dressed in white
standing at my beloved's side.

Virrat joluvat siltojen alitse,
kukat loistavat teiden varrella,
metsät kumartuvat suhisten maahan.
Minulle ei mikään enää ole korkeaa eikä matalaa,
mustaa eikä valkoista
nähtyäni valkopukuisen naisen
rakastettuni rinnalla.


Materials: My Mind's Eye, Sodalicious, Basic Grey, Um Wow Studio, Sizzix, Chic Tags, Studio Calico, Ikea, MT Masking Tape, 3rd Eye, Stampin' Up, Becky Higgins, Sakura, Fiskars


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...